Hair Clip Tutorial

Today I sat down and photographed, step-by-step, the process of making a hair clip. While I am not really a fan of these huge, crazy, fluffy bows you see out there, I do like a little touch of color in Elliott’s hair from time to time. These little clips are just the right size for babies and toddlers and I’d been seeing them on etsy.com so I thought I’d try my hand at them. When I searched for directions, though….I found the internet was lacking in that department and thought I would make a tutorial contribution of my own! I hope you find it helpful!

You will need:

• Single-prong clips (ebay, beauty supply store…)
  • 3/8″ ribbon (grosgrain or velvet stay in hair the best)
  • scissors
  • glue (I used hot glue, but if you use a craft glue the process is a beat neater and smoother)
  • Fray check, clear fingernail polish, or a cigarette lighter to seal the ends of the ribbon

clips

They look something like this…

This is what the clips look like. They’re about 1.75″ long.

Start with a clip and a 7″ length of ribbon.

Seal the ends of your grosgrain ribbon. I use a lighter: just hold the flame near (not touching!) the end for a few seconds.

Start on the inside, bottom of the clip near the joint and glue the ribbon down.

tut-3.jpg

Then put glue on the underside of the bottom ‘jaw’ of the clip and fold your ribbon under, pressing and smoothing it onto the clip.

tut-4.jpg

Turn the clip upside-down and put a spot of glue inside one finger tab (yes, I’m making up terms here…bear with me. lol) Press and hold until dry.

tut-5.jpg

Turn the clip over once more and apply glue/ribbon to the other ‘finger tab’, allowing your ribbon to follow the ‘V’ shape of the hinged area.

tut-6.jpg

With the clip top-side up, apply glue only to the outer side of the finger tab. If you get ahead of yourself and put it on the entire top, you’ll end up with a clip that’s glued shut and that’s just no good at all.

tut-8.jpg

Now, hold back the remaining length of ribbon with your thumb and apply glue as you keep the clip open (again….no gluing the clip shut!).

tut-9.jpg

While you’re still holding the clip open, press down the ribbon to cover the top outer part of the clip.

tut-10.jpg

Flip the clip over and glue remaining ribbon.

tut-11.jpg

Your clip should look like this….and not be glued shut.

tut-12.jpg

If you want to add a little bow, you’ll need a piece of matching or coordinating ribbon about 3.5″-4″ long. Don’t forget to seal the ends.

With the wrong sides together, fold over one end about 3/4″-1″ and glue the tip down.

tut-13.jpg

Add a dot of glue on top of where it’s already glued.

tut-14.jpg

Bring the other end over to create a little bow that’s about an inch long.

tut-15.jpg

Glue bow to top of clip.

tut-16.jpg

While holding the clip open, add a drop of glue directly below the center of the bow. Attach the end of a piece of ribbon that you’ve cut to 1.25″ long.

Wrap ribbon around center of bow and secure underneath with another dot of glue.

tut-17.jpg

Your clip should look something like this!

If you have any questions or input, please let me know! Thanks and have fun!

Comments

1. Carly says

Those are really cute! I’d love if you posted a picture of one of the clips in Elliott’s hair so we can see how they look when modeled! Now I want to go out and make hair clips and I don’t even have a girl baby!!!

2. Corrie says

Talk about timing. Abby’s cousin just asked for small hair accessories for her birthday. Now I have one more thing on my list of things to do!

3. Luisa says

Your tutorial is super-easy to follow. You did a great job! I ordered my supplies from ebay tonight (could have saved some $ and gone to Hobby Lobby but I’m still recovering from foot surgery) and can’t wait to get started!

4. Kam says

Hi thank you for the tutorial.

I have been trying to do this with the hot gun but I find it gets very messy and clumpy. Do you have any other suggestions?

You can use tacky glue for a smoother, less globby process, but I tried it and it takes forever. I decided to stick with the evil ways of hot glue. :)

5. Phyllis says

Thank you for taking time to show us how it is done. Thank you for the easy instructions. I can’t wait to try one.

6. says

I love it! I’m a bona fide hair accessory addict ever since I learned to make bows and korkers. I’m into making some crazy busy ones…but not necessarily overly big. I even figured out how to make some silk flower clippies…then went over the top with some pretty big flowers..but in the end, I think they actually look pretty cute on my 3 year old.

7. Stacey says

Thank you very much for this great tutorial! I had searched everywhere for an easy way to do these… and this hit the spot!

8. Kate says

Target is selling these bows for $5 a pair. I just knew I could make them for MUCH less. I bought the supplies this weekend and then did a search and your tutorial popped up. Thank you! Made my first one tonight and it turned out great and looks cute! Tried it with glue first but it was a mess. Wish I could seal the edges so the clip is completely hidden, but now sure how to best do that without making a mess…hmmmmmm….

9. heather says

if every how-to project was this detailed and didnt just asume we know what “you” ment things would be soooo much easier! love the clip great instrutions keep more ideas coming!!!!!

10. says

Great tutorial, thankyou!! I had a go today and after destroying one and messing up two, I’ve made 6 gorgeous little clips! The hot glue takes a bit of getting used to; if only it didn’t dry so quickly!!

Awesome job with the pictures and instructions, thankyou!

11. says

have already been following ur site around three days. really enjoy what you posted. by the way i’m conducting a study about this subject. do you know other good websites or maybe online forums where I can get more? many thanks.

12. Christina Gruber says

Hey I just made this – too cute. I had the same ribbon too! If you have anymore that you do or a site please let me know, I love making these for my little girl!

13. JoAnn says

Thank you for making it simple. I have been looking for something like this. I find that if I put the tacky glue on the ribbon spread it with my finger and let it sit for a minute it goes smoothly. It does take longer, but you are right it is smoother. Depending on my mood to how quickly I want them done!! LOL thanks again

• says

Yeah, when my daughter’s hair was thin and fine, I would line them with the hook side of velcro and they stayed great. :)

Thanks for the tip!
      Abbie

14. Lystessa says

I have been wanting to make these for ages, and I finally did it… These are SO FUN! Thank you so much for the detailed tutorial and measurements, it made the process all fun and no stress. Now my mind is racing with more ideas for embellishments. I used my low-heat glue gun for the first time and managed not to burn myself at all. ;)

Trackbacks